Friday, May 20, 2011

The Miller House by Eero Saarineen

When I was 17 years old I flew with my family to Israel with a long layover at the Eero Saarinen TWA terminal at JFK airport. It was one of the first times a building's design and architecture left a huge impression- I remember the red carpet and interiors and smooth concrete walls soaring above and how I felt like flying could be fancy (oh those were the days, remember?!?!).

I definitely didn't know anything about mid-century design or who Eero Saarinen was, but since then I've learned a thing or two and I am a huge fan of his designs. Which is why I'd love to take a tour of the newly restored Miller House in Columbus, Indiana. The Indianapolis Museum of Art has just reopened to the public the Saarinen-designed private residence, commissioned in the early 50's by industrialist J. Irwin Miller and his wife, Xenia. And I love the juxtaposition of the playful Alexander Girard interiors. Check it out:





No comments:

Post a Comment